Wednesday 11 January 2012

Social Media

Is social media a fad? In my opinion I believe that social media is definitely not a fad. A fad is a trend, and I don’t see social media ever going out of style. Social media is certainly the biggest shift since the Industrial Revolution. People use social media to interact and communicate with people over the web on a daily basis. Social media includes: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Skype, Flickr, MySpace, MyBlogLog, Digg and many more. Personally, I use Facebook and Twitter every single day, I can even say I’m obsessed with them. I spend over 10 hours a day checking and rechecking my Facebook newsfeed for recent updates such as status changes and newly uploaded photos. I’m a little more obsessed with Twitter. I check my Twitter right when I wake up, and I continue checking it all throughout the day until I go to bed, and I send at least 5 tweets a day. It only took Facebook 9 months to reach over 100 million users. To me that is absolutely crazy to have reached that many people in that short period of time. Facebook even tops Google for weekly web searches and has so many users that if it was a country, it would be the third largest in the World. Our society uses social media on a daily basis, and that is where we all get our news now. If I want to see the weather for the day, I don’t turn on my TV or radio; I go on my phone, go on my Twitter and see what CP24 tweeted about the weather for the day. I think it’s simply amazing how far social media has come in such a short period of time. I can’t even imagine what social media is going to be like in the future, and how much we are all going to rely on it.

3 comments:

  1. Social media has come REALLY far. I can't say that I use twitter or Facebook that often but having all of this at our fingertips is amazing! I find it interesting you mentioned your phone. It is really neat how technology has changed to inter-grade these social media tools into our phones and i pods. This goes to show you how our society is changing to incorporate these into our life. It is as easy as pulling your phone out of your pocket.
    You are right it will be interesting to see how we are going rely on social media in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to agree that it has become the biggest shift since the industrial revolution because of its convenience and how it is developing more and more each year. But i have to disagree that it is not a fad or has become a trend because when you look around, younger kids hear about the social media through older youths or adults and what it has for everybody and how amazing it is to be connected with everyone they know and get to know others as well. with such great features of social media that their older folks, siblings or friends, has encouraged them to be a part of something big. that is why i think that it is not only the biggest shift since the industrial revolution and it also has become a trend because you can see other social media companies trying to be like Facebook and Youtube that doesn't seem to be so popular, that within the social media companies has had great competitions because of they are inspired to be big one day like Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and other major sites that are known anywhere in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES… I am agreeing that social media is not going to be out of style, instead of that it is going to me more popular among our generation. And also it’s amazing that how the Facebook grew its network within 9 months to reach over 100 million users. Many businesses are relying on social media, such as metro and loblaws use Facebook to promote their products and it is cheaper for them too.

    ReplyDelete